Chapter 7A.15: Pets and Animals
7A.15.010 Pets allowed in park facilities.
Dogs, pets or domestic animals are not permitted on any designated swimming beach, athletic field, picnic shelter area or play area in any City of Sammamish open space, trail, park area, facility or associated marine area unless specifically permitted by posting of the Department. This section shall not apply to service animals. Any person violating provisions of this rule shall have committed a civil offense.
7A.15.020 Dog leash requirements.
(1) It is unlawful for any person to allow or permit any animal under their control to run at large in any park or enter any designated swimming area located therein. Provided, dogs may be allowed off-leash in designated off-leash dog parks, or in specific portions of parks designated as off-leash, or in designated parks during park hours that have been specifically designated as off-leash hours, so long as the dog is under control of the owner or handler.
(2) In permissible areas only, dogs, pets or other domestic animals must be kept on a leash no greater than 16 feet in length and must be under control at all times.
(3) This section shall not apply where the dogs are engaged in lawful competition sanctioned by a nationally recognized body, working dogs engaged in sanctioned search and rescue activities, or are in city-designated off-leash dog parks.
(4) No person may permit any dog or other pet to enter into a City of Sammamish open space, trail, or park area designated and posted by the Director as a preserve or place prohibited to dogs or pets.
(5) Any person violating provisions of this rule shall have committed a civil offense.
7A.15.030 Animal waste removal.
Any person whose dog or other pet is in any City of Sammamish open space, trail, park area, park facility or associate marine area is responsible for the conduct of the animal and for disposing feces in designated receptacles. Any person violating provisions of this rule shall have committed a civil offense.
7A.15.040 Dog park rules.
Dog owners and handlers must obey any posted rules for dog parks, including but not limited to: weight and size requirements, behavior, vaccinations, licenses, number of dogs, and health requirements. Any person violating provisions of this rule shall have committed a civil offense.
7A.15.050 Damage and disturbance by dogs, pets or domestic animals.
No person may allow their dog, pet, or domestic animal to capture, tease, annoy, harass, disturb, strike, mutilate, injure or damage any park user, pet, domestic animal or wildlife. No person may permit his or her dog or other pet or domestic animal to bark continuously or otherwise disturb the peace and tranquility of any City of Sammamish open space, trail, park area, park facility or associated marine area. Any person violating provisions of this rule shall have committed a civil offense.
7A.15.060 Horseback riding.
Horses are permitted on City trails unless otherwise posted and designated. Horses may be permitted in other City of Sammamish park areas that are specifically posted to permit such activity. Horses are not be permitted in any associated marine area, designated swimming area, or picnic area. No person may allow a horse or other animal to stand unattended or insecurely tied. No person may ride any horse or other animal in such a manner that could cause physical harm to any person. Any person violating provisions of this rule shall have committed a civil offense.
7A.15.070 Animal control.
The followings provision in the Sammamish Municipal Code are adopted by reference, now in effect and as subsequently amended: SMC 11.05.
Consultation has concluded